Sunday, August 24, 2008

Training Rides


Last week I started my pre El Tour training rides and to my delight I handled it with great aplomb. On Sunday the group and I tackled a very scenic 30 mile ride around Saguaro National Monument West. I try to do new rides as often as possible so I was really excited to explore this route. As expected the park did not disappoint, rather it exceeded my expectations. There were lots of fun downhills, swooping turns and challenging climbs that weaved through communities of giant saguaro. The legs felt great! For not having done very many rides during the off season I performed pretty dog gone good.

Now today's ride was a very different story. Still floating on the high from last weeks ride I figured today would be just as scenic but faster. My thoughts of a speedy ride went bye bye with the 10-15 mph wind. No matter what direction I was headed that wind seemed to slap me around the road slowing my every effort to gain some sort of speed. It didn't help that physically I wasn't all there either. Yesterday I didn't fuel up as I normally do, the wife and I played nine holes of golf in the afternoon sun and ended up going to bed late. Not being in tip-top shape and sparring with the wind isn't going to make for a very enjoyable ride. Not to mention my phone bobbled out of the rear pocket of my jersey on a 35 mph decent and ended up getting dropped from the group because I couldn't find the dumb battery and cover. Big deal, Motorola is sending me a new cover, I was on the bike doing what I love on one of the most spectacular rides in Tucson!

No comments: